Water is omnipresent in the Gironde and is infinitely varied: ocean, estuary, lakes, rivers and streams make up an exceptional mosaic of environments and landscapes.
The Gironde is the land of mixed waters: 126 km of beaches, the largest estuary in Europe, the two largest lakes in France suitable for family water sports activities, two rivers, the Garonne and the Dordogne, 400 km of rivers open to boaters, and a famous inland sea, theArcachon Basin.
Sailing along the water in Gironde is to embark on a cruise on the Estuary and its islands, to go to the Cordouan lighthouse in a speedboat, to discover the Arcachon Basin in a sea kayak, to meander in a canoe in the Landes de Gascogne Regional Natural Park.
The department of Gironde is a place of intense maritime and river life, and also offers a wide range of nautical activities: surfing on the Atlantic waves, sailing on the coastal lakes and the Arcachon Basin, fishing in theEstuary and in the rivers, canoeing in the protected sites. The choice is vast!
To travel along the Gironde or to walk on its banks is to discover the history of the department and its people, and to discover a picturesque local heritage: “carrelets” along the estuary, oyster beds on the Bassin d’Arcachon, the work of nature with the largest ocean beaches in France…
- Basilica of Our Lady of the End of the EarthTradition has it that the origin of this church can be traced back to the legend of Saint Veronica. Partager sur : Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Copy Link More
- Memorial of the Nord-Médoc FortressGerman positions composed of one to several dozen bunkers. Partager sur : Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Copy Link More
- North Medoc FortressThe memorial of the fortress of the North Médoc proposes through the visit of a museum and a historical site of the Atlantic Wall, to relate the battle of liberation of the pocket of German resistance North Médoc, in a human … Read more
- Lacanau OceanPopular with surfers from all over the world, Lacanau-Ocean hosts every year in August one of the major stages of the world surfing championship, the ” Lacanau Pro “. It is the oldest surfing competition in France (1979). There are 7 … Read more
- CarcansAdults also have the choice of sunbathing on the beach, discovering sand yachting or racing on the lake. The UCPA center of Bombannes offers an adventure course accessible to all those who wish to experience the great thrill in complete safety: … Read more
- Grayan-et-l’HôpitalNumerous bicycle paths, a vast forest and 7 km of beaches form a real paradise for lovers of outdoor sports or lazing around. Numerous infrastructures (tennis, stadium, playgrounds for children, motorcycle-cross circuit) relay the sports activities set up in summer by … Read more
- Vendays-Montalivet12 km of beaches, 40 km of hiking trails, 30 km of bicycle paths: the seaside resort of Vendays-Montalivet has what it takes to seduce lovers of space and outdoor recreation or naturists who love freedom. The pleasures of water This … Read more
- Le Verdon-sur-MerBordered by the Atlantic Ocean and the Gironde estuary, Le Verdon-sur-Mer is the northernmost seaside resort of the Gironde coast, on the edge of the Médoc peninsula. Placed under the benevolence of the Cordouan lighthouse, the “Verdon” is first of all … Read more